Make sure you include: Name - Dates - Location (Announce)
Good queries get good results
To make good use of this forum you need to write a good query. A good query is bound to get you good results, other members will respond. A bad query will be ignored. Good queries are clear, precise and have enough information to allow readers to help you.
Name - Dates - Location
As there are so many people who lived in the Forest that had the same name, it is important that you include all three in your query when you are seeking information about a person.
A name is of little use without a date and a location.
- Name - What is your ancestors name?
- Dates - When was he born or married or died?. If you don't know the exact date, give a range - you must know if he was born 1820-1830 for example, versus being born 1890-1900.
- Location - Where did your ancestor live or where was he born? Be sure to include this information in your query.
Other imformation to include
- Tell us what you want to know - Otherwise it's just a stab in the dark. Probably the worst thing you can say is "looking for any information on William Jones". What information? Be specific, if you are trying to find when and where a person married, then make it clear that you are seeking that information.
- Tell us where you have already looked - I've searched the Parish Records and the 1861 census.
- Write a descriptive subject line - Marriage of William JONES born Lydney 1838.
- Use paragraphs - Don't run your sentences all together. Leave a white line between your paragraphs. The easier you make it for readers to understand your post, the more chance you have of receiving help.
Subject: Marriage of William JONES born Lydney 1838
William JONES was born 1838 in Lydney, lived in Bream from 1860 till his death in 1897.
From census records I discovered that his wife's name was Mary (surname unknown) born circa 1840. Known children were John, James, Sarah & Mary all born at Bream in the 1860s.
I am looking for a details of their marriage so I can obtain Mary's surname. I've searched the Parish Records on this site but I'm unable to find a record of their marriage.
Looking for any information on William Jones
Further information on this site about posting messages in the forum
Forum Administrator, following in the big footprints left by David Watkins, RIP