NEWENT is an extensive parish, and small market town, head of a union and county court district, and polling place for the Western division of the county, 111 miles from London, 9 north-west from Gloucester and about the same distance east from Ross, 8 south from Ledbury, and 5 north-east from Micheldean Road station, on the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester railway, situate near the confines of the counties of Hereford and Worcester, and is intersected by the turnpike road leading from Gloucester to Hereford and Worcester; it is in the Botloe hundred, rural deanery of North Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The Herefordshire and Gloucestershire canal passes through the parish, and there is a wharf at the north end of the town. The Ell, a rivulet, runs through the north part of this parish, and drives several mills before its confluence with the Leadon. This town consists chiefly of two main streets, containing many well-built houses and some good shops. Newent appears to have been formerly a place of considerable importance, having been a borough town, governed by a bailiff; by Leland and others the name is said to signify New Inn, being, when the communication was first opened by this way into Wales, a single house. There is no railway at present, but the Great Western Railway Company have obtained an Act for making a line from Gloucester, through Newent to Ledbury and Ross.
The parish church of the Virgin Mary is a handsome structure. This venerable pile was erected about the year 1590, and designed by Thomas Taylor, architect: the roof of the nave is supported entirely by screws, there being no pillars, and must have been the work of several periods: it has chancel, nave and tower surmounted by a spire, 153 feet in height, containing a peal of 6 bells: the top of the spire was blown down in 1662, and the whole roof of the nave fell in, after divine service had been concluded on Sunday, 18th January, 1673: the church was thoroughly repaired and much altered in 1679: there is a monument of great antiquity, supposed to have been erected to the Foley family. The register dates from the year 1673. The living is a rectory, the tithes commuted at £1,542 with residence and one acre of land, in the patronage of St. Catharine’s College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. Peter Almeric Lebeup Wood, M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge, and Canon of Middleham.
Here are Wesleyan, Congregational and Baptist chapels.
The Cemetery is about half a mile to the west: it s about two acres in extent, and contains two handsome mortuary chapels of stone, also lodge-keepers house. Here are almshouses for six poor men and the same number for females.
There are charities producing £57, distributed to the poor.
The Market House, conspicuously situated in the centre of the town, is an interesting example of Elizabethan timber work of the sixteenth century, specimens of which are now comparatively rare: it was in a very dilapidated condition, but was thoroughly restored by the liberality of the lord of the manor, Richard Foley Onslow, J.P. whose arms, and those of Mrs Onslow, in stained glass, decorate one of the windows.
Markets were formerly held on Fridays; but a market for stock is now only held on the first Tuesday in each month, and the fairs on the Wednesdays before Easter and Whit Sundays and August 12th, with statute fairs on the Friday after the 18th September and two succeeding Fridays.
Newent has always been in great repute for the production of cider and perry. There are several malting and flour mills in the neighbourhood; a tannery and some fellmongering, and glove making; bricks and drain pipes are made. The town has two old established commercial inns – the ‘George’ and the ‘Red Lion’, both have assembly rooms for concerts and meetings. There are several mineral springs in the vicinity of this parish, possessing properties similar to the Cheltenham and Gloucester waters; the principal spring lies a short distance from the town, and is surrounded by some splendid scenery: on the south-west is situate Yartleton Hill, now called May Hill, on account of the festive games celebrated thee on May-day; the summit is planted with fir trees; from it a very commanding prospect is to be obtained. There are several old quarries from which fossils are obtained.
New Court, the seat of Andrew Knowles, esq. M.F.H. is in this parish; it is a handsome residence, with colonnade portico front, situate on an eminence near the church, in park like grounds, finely timbered and with a beautiful lake. The Holts, the property and residence of Edmund Edmonds, esq. is also situated here. The Court House, the property and residence of Charles James Cooke, esq. is a handsome mansion in pleasant grounds near to the church. Stardens, the property of Tichard Foley Onslow, esq. D.L. is a handsome modern stone mansion, about a quarter of a mile to the north; it is situated in park-like grounds.
Richard Foiley Onslow, esq. who is the lord of the manor and W.J. Phelps, esq. of Dursley, the Charity Commissioners and Andrew Knowles, esq. are the chief landowners. The soil in general is a light sand, inclining to red, better adapted for arable than pasture, of which however, there is some of a superior quality, as well as excellent orcharding; the subsoil consists of coal, ironstone, red sandstone, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips, and fruit is largely grown.
The area of the entire parish is 7,803 acres; rateable value £15,890; the population in 1871 was, parish ,3,168; town or liberty 1,000.
BOULSDON gave name to a family who held it from 1475 for several generations: it belonged to the Porter family in 1558, from whom it passed by purchase to Mr. J. Noarse Morse (at the beginning of the present century), who, in 1803 was lord of the manor, also a considerable landowner. AT this place there was formerly two coal pits, sunk at the expense of several subscribers: the depth of the coal was 41 yards; the stratum between four and five feet; those collieries are now worked out, but vestiges still remain to prove the fact that coal was once wrought in the part of the parish.
CONEYGORE, or Conigre, 1 mile west was a Roman settlement.
BOULSDON and Kilcot tithing, 2 miles south-west, had a population in 1871 of 850; Compton tithing, 2 miles north, 600; Cugley tithing, 1 mile ease, 350; and Malswick tithing, 1 mile south, 240.
GORSLEY with Clifford;s Mesne, in the parish of Newnet, forms an ecclesiastical district. Gorsley school church was opened August 14th1872, and the chancel was added in 1877: it is a Gothic building, consisting of small chancel and nave: there are sittings for 300: a residence for the clergyman was built in 1876. Clifford’s Mesne school church is a stone building of simple architecture, and was opened in September 1863, and has sittings for 80 people: the living is a perpetual curacy, gross yearly value £207, in the gift of the rector of Newent, two turns, and the vicar of Linton, one turn and held by the Rev. Edward Henry Sankey,B.A. OF Oriel College, Oxford.
Here is an excellent quarry of red sandstone, well adapted for building purposes. Total population of Gorsley and Clifford’s Mesne ecclesiastical districe, 1307.
Parish clerk, William Barron
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Annuity & Insurance Office – Mrs. Charlotte Bisco, sub-postmistress, Church street. Letters arrive from Gloucester at 4 a.m. & 4.45 p.m.; dispatched at 9 a.m. 4.30 p.m. & p.m.
WALL LETTER BOX, Clifford’s Mesne cleared at 6 a.m.
For Newent Petty Sessional Division.
John Cam Thackwell esq.
W.P. Price esq.
Reginald Wynniall esq.
Capt. W.E. Price M.P.
Osman Ricardo esq.
George O. Deane, esq.
Clerk, Charles James Cooke
Petty sessions are held at the Market House every alternate Monday. The following places are included in the Petty Sessional Division; - Bromsberrow, Corse, Dymock, Highleadon, Kempley, Newent, Oxenhall, Pauntley, Preston, Taynton, Tibberton, Upleadon.
Norwich Union Fire, E. Pocock, Broad street
Royal Exchange, C Tunnicliff
Sun Fire, E Edmonds
Burial Board, Charles J. Cooke, clerk; Henry Jellyman, keeper of cemetery grounds
County Court, Charles Sumner, esq. Judge; Charles James Cooke, registrar. The county court is held at the Market House every alternate month: the district comprises the following places:- Aston Ingham, Aston Crews, Bromsberrow, Howler’s Heath, Reyson Hill, Corse, Dymock, Bromsberrow Heath, Broom’s Green, Castle Tump, Greenway, Holwood’s Green, Leadington, Ryton, Rylands, Tilleys Green, Woodend, Hartpury, Woolridge, Highleadon, Kempley, Linton, Gorsley, Newent, Boulsdon, Bran Green, Botloe’s Green, Compton, Cugley, Clifford’s Mesne, Kilcote, Malswick, Oxenhall, Hilling Green, Shaw Common, Pauntley, Pool Hill, Retford,Preston, Redmarley D’Abitot, Forty Greet, Haw Cross, Kings Green, Low bans, Rudford, Staunton, Snig’s End, Taynton, Glass House Hill, Kents Green, May Hill, Tibberton, Upleadon, Eden Hill
Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal Company’s Office, (Sidney Bowkett, wharfinger & agent), Canal Wharf
Inland Revenue Office, George hotel, James William Phillips, Officer
Police Station, Richard Alley, sergeant & two sub-officers
Stamp Office, Arthur Clark, sub-distributor
The union comprises the following parishes in Gloucestershire:- Bromsberrow, Corse, Dymock, Hartpury, High Leadon, Kempley, Newent, Oxenhall, Pauntley, Preston, Rudford, Taynton, Tibberton & Upleadon: & in Herefordshire –Aston Ingham & Linton: in Worcestershire—Redmarley D’Abitot & Staunton: rateable value, £77,206
Board day, every alternate Thursday.
Clerk, John Edwards Price, High Street; Assistant, Charles Tunnicliff, Culvert street.
Assistant Overseer & Collector, Alfred Jones, Pound house, Market place
Relieving Officers, Jolm Jauncey, Bury Bar (Newent district) Benjamin Nunn (Redmarley district)
Public Vaccinators & Medical Officers, William Norris Marshall, Church street (Newent district), Frank Hayes Smelt (Dymock district); W.B.Boughton (Redmarley district).
Superintendent Registrar, Charles Tunnicliff, Culvert st
Registrars of Births & Deaths, John Jauncey (Newent district); Benjamin Numm (Redmarley district)
Registrars of Marriages, John Jauncey & Benjamin Nunn
Workhouse Edwin Wilkinson, master; Rev. Joseph White, chaplain; Frank Hayes Smelt, surgeon; Mrs. Elizabeth Jennings, matron.
RURAL SANITARY AUTHORITY
Clerk, John Edwards Price
Medical Officer, William Norris Marshall
Inspector, James Hill
Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes, Charles James Cooke
District Surveyor, Robert Grubb
Highway Board, - Waywardens, ex officio, the Justices, Charles James Cooke, clerk
Grammar, Church street, Rev. Joseph White, head master
National, Newent (boys, girls & infants), Samuel Robert Fisher, master; Mrs Elizabeth Fisher, mistress; Miss Rose, infants mistress.
National, Clifford’s Mesne (mixed), Miss Mary E. Fox, mistress
National Gorsley (mixed), Stephen Craggs, master
The National School, a good stone building, situated at Picklenash, is capable of containing 300 children
CARRIERS:- James Addis & Henry Davis, to Gloucester & back daily, 9 a.m. returning at 4 p.m.
CONVEYANCE.- A coach from Ledbury passes through at 9 a.m. to Gloucester, returning at 5 in the evening daily.
Bruton Edward, Bury Bar
Burton Rev. Charles H. [Wesleyan] Culvert street
Clarke Mrs. Church street
Cooke Charles James, The Court house
Deveson Robert, Southends
Dowding Mrs. Broad street
Edmonds Edmund, The Holts
Frowde Capt. James Henry [3rd Gloucestershire Artillery volunteers], Waldron court
Golledge Isaac, Boulsdon house
Gregorie Mrs. The Parks
Hankins Edward, New street
Harris Rev. William [Congregational] The Manse
Hartland William, Calvert street
Hill John, Broad street
Hill Mrs. Market place
Hornsby Mrs. High street
Jones Alfred, Pound house Market pl
Knowles Andres, New court
Lucy John, Culvert street
McWilliam William, Clifford’s mesne
Marshall William Norris, Church street
Matthews Miss, The Holts
Mortimer William, Newton villa
Nash Charles, Broad street
Onslow Capt. Andrew, Stardens
Onslow Capt. George, Stardens
Onslow William A. Stardens
Pontifex Russell, Sandyway
Price John Edwards, Church street
Probyn Charles, Place house
Probyn Thomas, Place house
Roach Matthew, Market place
Sankey Rev. Edward Henry,B.A. [incumbent of Gorsley with Clifford’s Mesne] Gorsley
Smelt Frank Hayes, L.R.C.P. EDIN. The Villa, High street
Smith Mrs. High street
Thurston Mrs. Broad street
Tunnicliff Mrs. Lower cottage
White Rev. Joseph [head master of Grammar school & chaplain of union], Church street
Williams Miss. Church street
Wood John, Ford house
Wood Rev. Peter Almeric Leheup,M.A. [CANON], Rectory
Adams James, carpenter, Culvert street
Addis Charles, carpenter & wheelwright, Gorsley
Addis James, carrier, Gloucester road
Bailey Thomas & Son, saddlers & harness makers, Broad street
Bailey William, Farmer, Culvert street
Baldwin James, bricklayer, Culvert street
Baldwin William, shopkeeper, Church street
Baron John, beer retailer, Bridge street
Baron William, tin plate worker, Church street
Beard Richard, shoe maker, Little Ford
Bidmead Jhn. Builder, contrctr. & monumentl. Mason Broad st
Birt Richard, tailor & toy dealer, Broad street
Bisco Charlotte (Mrs.), boot maker & sub-postmistress, Church street
Bisco William, carpenter & wheelwright, Bell yard
Blewett George, wheelwright & carpenter, Malswick
Bolton William, haulier, Ivy cottage, Clifford’s mesne
Brace William, carpenter & stone agent, Clifford’s Mesne
Bradford James, farmer, Carswall
Bray Hubert, ourfitter Church street
Brewer William, farmer, Hayes
Bruton Edward, draper & farmer, Broad street
Buckle Benjamin, confectioner, High street
Bunn Edwin, photographer & gas engineer
Burgum Robert, farmer & cattle dealer, Kilcote
Burrows Mary (Mrs.) farmer, Laynes farm
Byard Maria (Mrs.), beer retailer, Culvert street
Cadle John, farmer, Poydresses
Cannock John, farmer Conigree
Charles John, boot & shoe maker, Culvert street
Chidey Frank, butcher, Broad street
Clark Arthur, grocer, printer & stationer, Church street
Clark James, butcher, Okle green
Clark Peter, watch maker, Broad street
Commeline Thomas, manager of the Gloucestershire Banking Co., High street
Cook Albert, farmer, Clifford’s mesne
Cook Charles, shopkeeper, Clifford’s mesne
Cook Charles James, beer retailer, High street
Cook James, baker & grocer, High street
Cooke Charles James, solicitor & registrar of County Court, The Court house
Cowdery George & Sons, builders & contractors, Church st
Cowmeadow William, ironmonger & blacksmith, New street
Crease John Pocock, tailor & draper, Waterloo ho. Church street
Creighton Henry, grocer & provision dealer, Broad street
Cromwell Edward, leather seller, Broad street
Crook George William, farmer Black house
Cue & Roberts, grocers & provision dealers, Broad street
Cummins John, farmer, Nelfields
Cummins Joseph, farmer Blass fields
Cummins William, farmer, Ford farm
Dallimore George, beer retailer & farmer, Clifford’s mesne
Davies Charles, shoe maker, Fisher’s cottage
Davis Samuel, plumber, painter & glazier, Church street
Davis Thomas, carpenter, Kent’s green
Dawe John, seedsman &market gardener, Bury bar
Dobbins Edwin, shopkeeper & bricklayer, Church street
Dobbins Richard, general dealer & cart owner, Gorsley
Dowdeswell Thomas, farmer, Cugley
Dowding John, Black Dog Church street
Edkins James, gamekeeper to R.F.Onslow esq. Woodgate
Edmonds Edmund, solicitor, The Holts
Edmonds Ralph, solicitor, The Holts
Edwards William, miller, Brass mill
Eves Edward Henry, general dealer, Church street
Farmer John, coach builder, Church street
Faulk Charles, miller Cleave mill
Fishpool John, shopkeeper, Gorsley
Fleetwood Harriet (Miss), fancy repository, Church street
Ford Daniel, Farmer Okle
Gas Works (Edmund Edmonds, solicitor; Edwin Bunn, gas engineer & sec.)
Gaze Isaac, builder Church street
Gloucestershire Banking Co. (Branch of) (Charles Nash, agent), Broad street; draw on Union Bank of London, London e.c.
Gooch James, drill owner, Kilcote
Good Thomas, shoe maker, Culvert street
Goodchap Thomas, farmer, Gorsley
Goolding Daniel, farmer, Gorsley
Grammar School (Rev. Jsph. White, head master) Church street
Graves Edmund, farmer, Ravens Hill
Green Benjamin, draper & silk mercer, Broad street
Greenaway Charles, haulier, Broad street
Greenaway Sarah (Mrs.), baker & confectioner, Broad street.
Grubb Robert, surveyor of turnpike roads
Hale Reuben, tailor, Gloucester road
Hankins Edward, solicitor, New street
Hankins Thomas Dalley, baker & confectioner, Broad street
Harper John, farmer, Malswick
Hart Silas, farmer, The Hay
Hartland Arthur, farmer & cattle dealer, The Green
Hartland Henry, farmer, Compton house
Hartland Henry, grocer & corn & provision dealer, & agent for W.7 A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants, Broad street
Hartland John, farmer, Ploddy house
Hartland Miles, plumber, painter & glazier, Market place
Hartland Miles, Red Lion, Market place
Hatch Frederick, carpenter, builder & wheelwright, Ross road
Hatton John, tanner, Culvert street
Herbert Joseph, shoe maker, Kilcote
Herefordshire & Gloucestershire Canal Co. (Sidney Bowkett, wharfinger & agent, Canal wharf
Hill James, sanitary inspector, Market place
Hill John, farmer, Line house
Hill John, jun. Farmer, Baldwyns
Hill Thomas, shopkeeper, Gloucester road
Hobbs William, blacksmith, Kent’s green
Hodges Frederick, blacksmith Woodgate
Holborow Francis, farmer, Boulsdon croft
Holloway Augusta T. (Mrs.), farmer, The Scarr
Hooper Thomas, farmer, Briery hill
Hopkins James, farmer, Gorsley
Hopkins Thomas, coal dealer, Bury bar
Howells Alice (Mrs.),seminary, High street
Humpidge Thomas, farmer, Malswick
James Brothers, builders & contractors, Crown hill
James Philip, builder, Bury bar
James William, shopkeeper, Church street
Jauncey John, registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Newent district, & relieving officer, Bury bar
Jellyman Henry, tailor & keeper of cemetery, Watery lane
Jenkins Alfred, horse dealer, Ross road
Jones Alfred, assistant overseer & collector, Pound house, Market place
Jones John (Mrs.), farmer, Gorsley
Jones John, farmer, Great Boulsdon
Jones Joseph, shoe maker, Culvert street
Jones Thomas, blacksmith, Strawberry hill
Langley Eusebius William, veterinary surgeon, High street
Lee John, excavator & contractor & assistant overseer for Oxenhall, Culvert street
Lewis Charles, shopkeeper, Gorsley
Lewis Thomas, thatcher & fruit dealer, Glasshouse hill
Little James, cooper, Broad street
Llewellyn Brothers, blacksmiths, Culvert street
LODGE JAMES, George commercial hotel & posting house, Church street
Longney William, farmer, Yates farm
Loveridge Thomas, carpenter, Botloe green
Loveridge William, miller, Malswick
Lucy John, solicitor, Culvert street
Lummas Thomas, shopkeeper, Kilcote
Marfell Sarah (Mrs.), stationer & fancy repository, Broad street
Marshall William Norris, surgeon &medical officer of health for the sanitary district of Newent, Church street
Moody Mary Ann (Mrs.) butcher, Broad street
Morris Thomas, farmer, Carwents
Nash Chas. res. Agent, Gloucestershire Banking Co. Broad street
Neems Frederick, confectioner, Church street
Nicholls William, builder, New street
Nunn Henry, farmer, Upleadon cross
Organ Jeremiah, farmer, Moat, Malswick
Owen Henry, Anchor inn, Bridge street
Pardington George, farmer & cattle dealer, Mantley house
Parlour Thomas, farmer, Lower Boulsdon
Penwarden Peter, grocer & provision dealer, Broad street
Phelps Emily (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Clifford’s mesne
Phibbs Amos, shoe maker, Culvert’s street
Phillips James William, inland revenue officer, Church street
Phillips Richard, miller, Oklepitcher mill
Phillips Samuel, farmer, Gorsley
Phillips William, sack contractor & beer retailer, High street
Pocock Edward, grocer, Broad street
Powell Elias, chimney sweeper, Church street
Powell William, shopkeeper, Church street
Preece James Cole, blacksmith, Kilcote
Preedy John, farmer, Broad street
Price John Edwards, solicitor & estate agent, commissioner for affidavits, clerk to the union assessment committee, & school attendance committee & rural sanitary authority, High street
Price William, tailor, Broad street
Probyn Charles & Thomas, farmers & hay dealers, Place house
Prosser John, Farmer, Coxmore
Randall Joshua, farmer, Cues
Read Ann (Mrs.), grocer Lewall street
Read James, Bull inn Church street
Read William,, cart owner, Kilcote
Reeves William, watch & clock maker, Lewall street
Roper Thomas Hill, chemist, Church street
Rudge Charles, baker, & flour & corn warehouse, Broad street
Sadler Edwin, coal dealer, Wharf street
Smelt Frank Hayes, L.R.C.P. EDIN. Surgeon, The Villa, High street
Smith Edwin James, hair dresser, Broad street
Smith Joshua butcher, Broad street
Stephens Henry basket maker, Broad street
Stone John, beer retailer & shoe maker, Gloucester road
Summers James, woolstapler, Church street
Surl John Dyer, ironmonger & tin plate worker, Broad street
Taynton Elizabeth (Mrs.), hair dresser, Broad street
Thomson Henry, farmer, The Moat
Thurston William, grocer & provision dealer, Church street
Tranter Christopher, farmer, Ford
Tunnicliff Charles, land agent for Andrew Knowles, esq. superintendent registrar & assistant clerk to board of guardians, Culvert street.
Tyler Emma (Mrs.), beer retailer, Broad street
Wadley John, carpenter, Kilcote
Wadley William, farmer & coal dealer, Kilcote
Wedley Thomas, Royal Oak, & tailor, Market place
West Henry, veterinary surgeon, Church street
Williams Caroline (Miss), ladies’ boarding & day school, Church street
Wintle William, shoe maker, Broad street
Wintle William, Travellers Rest, Malswick
Wood John, farmer & Landowner, Ford house
Wood John, Kilcote inn, & farmer, Kilcote
Wood Leonard, wheelwright & carpenter, Culvert
Wood Richard, shoe maker, Gloucester road
Wood Samuel, Kings Arms, Ross road
Wood William, wheelwright, Kilcote.