• Broad Street, Littledean
  • The Triangle, Cinderford
  • Symonds Yat
  • Viney Hill Church
  • Mitcheldean Town Hall
  • Ruardean
  • Coleford
  • Lydbrook Viaduct
  • Central Lydbrook
  • Hill Street, Lydney
  • Broad Street, Littledean
  • The Triangle, Cinderford
  • Symonds Yat Rock and Railway
  • Viney Hill Church
  • Mitcheldean Market Hall
  • Ruardean
  • Coleford
  • Lydbrook Viaduct
  • Central Lydbrook
  • Hill Street, Lydney

COLEFORD is a market town and tithing in the civil parish of Newland, and in 1872 was formed into an ecclesiastical parish from the parish of Newland: it is 8 miles north-west from Lydney station on the South Wales Railway, 9 west from Newnham, 5 south-east from Monmouth, and 124 miles from London; it is a polling place for the Western division of the county, in Saint Briavels hundred, Monmouth, union and county court district, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol: it derives its support from the extensive mining districts of the Forest of Dean, by which it is surrounded.

THE CHURCH OF ST. JOHN is an octagonal stone building, built in 1819, having a tower, organ, galleries and 1 bell: a new church is now being built. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1819: all baptisms, marriages and burials, previously , took place at Newland. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the bishop of the diocese and held by the Rev. Thomas Holbrow, B.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge.

THE BAPTIST CHAPEL, in Newland Street, is a large structure, designed by C.G.Searle,esq. of London, and erected at a cost of £3,000 : it will seat 800 persons, and there is a fine organ.
There are CONGREGATIONAL and WESLEYAN chapels.

Here is a GRAMMAR SCHOOL, founded by Mr. Edward Bell in 1627, for 12 free scholars of the parish of Newland, or, failing these, the foundation is open to any over eight years of age who can read and write; subjects taught – Greek, Latin and arithmetic; head master, Rev. A.D. Sylvester, Associate of King's College, London : attached to this foundation is an almshouse for 4 men and 4 women: The income from this foundation is £210 yearly, arising from 144 acres of Land; school buildings have been erected here in a beautiful situation: the school is divided into two departments, classical and commercial; and the head master can receive boarders: there are 12 foundation scholarships.

There is a mixed school and also an infant school, each having a certificated teacher, with an average attendance of 240.

The BRITISH SCHOOLS in Newland Street, held in the old Baptist chapel, are managed by a local committee, and have a certificated master, with an average attendance of 140 pupils.

There are ALMS HOUSES for 8 men and 8 women, parishioners, founded in 1615 byMr. William Jones, citizen of London and haberdasher, and he appointed the Haberdasher' Company to be guardians of the charity; he also founded a lectureship, to be held by a clergyman, whose duty is to take charge of the almspeople; salary, £68; the Haberdashers' Company pay over £200 for these purposes: there are also about £10 distributed to the poor in money. In the chapelry of Bream are charities to the value of £40 distributed to the poor.

The CEMETERY which is situated at the edge of the town upon a large and elevated piece of ground, was consecrated on the 18th January, 1868.

The TOWN HALL is situated in the centre of the Market Place: the basement forms the market house: it was built in the year 1662, and was enlarged and restored to its present state in the year 1866, and opened February 12th 1867.

The MARKET is held on Friday; and there are fairs for the sale of wool, cattle and cheese, on the 20th of June and the last Friday in August: the charter for holding the market was granted on the 13th day of April, in the 13th year of the reign of Charles II, the King of his own will contributing £40 towards the former building.
The Crown is lord of the manor.
The principal landowner is Charles Bathurst, esq. The area is 2,322 acres, and the population in 1971 was 2,718.
Parish Clerk, John Rees.

Official Establishments, Local Institutions, &c.

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank and Government Annuity & Insurance Office – Matthew Jones, postmaster. Letters are delivered from all parts at 7 a.m. & from the North at 1 p.m.; dispatched to London at 8.35 p.m.; to the North at 6 p.m. & to the south at 8.35 p.m.

COUNTY MAGISTRATES for the Coleford Petty Sessional division
Sir James Campbell, bart
Capt. Dighton
Capt. Davies
C. T. Palmer, esq
Isaiah Trotter, esq
T.Batten, esq
Clerk, Robert Hooper Fryer, esq
Petty Sessions are held at the police court every alternate tuesday. The following places are included in the petty sessional division:- Little Dean, Lydney & Coleford.

General J.T. Thomas, Winnalls hill
Norwich Union Fire & Life T.B Trotter
Staffordshire Fire, B.H. Taylor, High street; J Herbert, Newland street.
Sun Fire W.H Hinton, The Bank

Town Hall & Market Hall, Mr W.J. Locke, sec; Charles White, hall keeper and collector
Police Station [not stated] , superintendent
Stamp Office William Butler, distributor
Cemetery John Rees, curator
Crown Receiver & Registrar's Office G.E. Francis receiver and registrar
Gaveller's Office Hon James Kenneth Howard, gaveller; T.F. Brown, deputy gaveller; H.R. Insole, assistant

Clerk John Hullett
Medical Officer John Hatton
Surveyor & Inspector William Henderson
Collector Thomas H. Hullett

Clerk R.H.Fryer

Registrar of Births & Deaths Albert Stephens
Registrar of Marriages James Herbert
Assistant Deputy Crown Surveyor of Woods and Forests, James Ward
Officer of Inland Revenue William Butler

Grammar Rev. Alfred Dykes Sylvester, T.A.K.C.L. headmaster
National, Coalway Road David Ray Hicks, master; Miss Mary Barron, mistress
National, Whitecliff, Miss Robinson, mistress
British, Newland Street George Cole, master; Miss Cole, sewing mistress

ASTON Wm Bellevue Cot. Staunton rd
ATKINSON George Perry grove
BATTEN Thomas J.P. The Marshes
BRENNER Mrs. Gloucester Road
BURTON Mrs. Poolway Villas
DEN Croft Worgan Poolway House
FRANCIS George Edward
FRYER Henry Hooper
FRYE Robert Hoskins Newland street
GEDGE Rev. Edmund M.A. Curate Boxbush Road
HARRIS George Albert Cot. Victoria rd
HATTON John Bank ho. Gloucester rd
HINTON William The Bank
HOLBROW Rev Thomas, B.A. Vicarage
HOLT Mrs. Dombey Lodge, High Nash
HULLETT John junior Gloucester rd
HULLETT John Venetian House
JENNINGS John Elmes High Street
NICHOLSON Miss. Lords Hill
NICHOLSON William Lords Hill
ROBERTS William Lawstone house
ROBERTS William, junior Perry Grove
STEVENS Rev.Robert, M.A. (Congregational) The Manse
SYLVESTER Rev. Alfred Dykes, T.A.K.C.L. [headmaster] Grammar School
THOMAS George Morley Villa
THOMAS John Trotter, Winnals Hill ho
THOMAS Mrs. High Street
TROTTER Isaiah J.P. The Coombs
TROTTER Leslie B. Newland street
VOICE Edward Fair View Cottage
WARDER Joseph Mont View villa
WHITE Miss High street
WILLIAMS Rev. Thomas B.A. [Baptist]

ADAMS John & Son plumbers, glaziers & painters High st
ADDIS James butcher Market place
ALLFORD Mrs. Elizabeth dress maker
ALLFORD Henry wood recorder
ANTHONY Esaias builder Cinder Hill
ASTON William farmer Sparrow Hill
ATKINSON & VAUGHAN civil & Mining engineers
AYTON William cabinet maker Cinder Hill
BARRY George provision & general dealer Gloucester rd
BATTEN Thomas Surgeon Coalway Lane
BAYTON Mrs.Anne beer retlr & Provsn dlr Sparrow Hill
BAYTON Thomas Shoe Maker
BIRD Charles Edwin printer & Publisher Boxbush park
BIRD Job farmer Whitecliff farm
BIRD Jonah farmer Crossways farm
BIRD Joseph farmer Edenwall farm
BISHOP James general dealer Market place
BOND Joseph chimney sweeper
BROWN Henry farmer Poolway farm
BROWN Thomas haulier
BROWN Thomas Forster deputy gaveller Dean Forest Gavellers Office
BROWN William haulier
BROWN William stone proprieter
BULL Matthew tailor & hatter Market place
BULL George butcher St. John street
BULLOCK James saddler St. John street
BUTLER William officer of inland revenue Sparrow Hill
Cemetery John REES Curator
CHEESE Henry chemist & druggist, agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine and Spirit merchants Market place
CLARK Mrs. Mary Shoe Maker Gloucester Road
Coleford Corn Co corn factors (J.T. Adams, manager)
Coleford Grammar School (Rev. Alfred Dykes SYLVESTER, T.A.K.C.L., Headmaster)
COOLE Samuel Jasper ironmonger
CULLIMORE John boot maker
CULLIMORE Thomas shoe maker & leather seller
CULLIS Mrs Elizth. Beer retailer & shopkeeper Coalway lane
DAVENPORT James Surgeons assistant St John street
DAY Mrs. Jane farmer Owen farm, Staunton road
DEN Croft Worgan barrister
DOBBS Charles sub agent for Great Western Railway Co
ELLIS Edward plasterer Victoria road
FIDO John Thomas beer retailer
FOX James Shoe maker
FRANCIS George Edward receiver of crown rents, registrar of Dean Forest & steward of the manors of Saint Briavels, Staunton & English Bicknor
FREEMAN Charles tailor
FROWEN John carpenter
FROWEN William shoe maker
FRYER Robert Hoskins solicitor, & clerk to the magistrates for Coleford, Newland street.
FRYER William Henry coal proprieter
Gas Works
TROTTER Isaiah, esq Chairman Newland street
PHILPOT John manager Newland street
GILLO Edwin plasterer
Gloucestershire Banking Co.
HINTON William Henry manager, draw on Union Bank of London London e c
GRIFFITHS James farmer & Angel Inn
GRIFFITHS John James bootmaker
GUNTER John farmer
GWILLIAM Hubert shopkeeper Gloucester road
HARPER William machinist
HARRIS Milson Red Lion Cinder Hill
HATTON Miss Elizabeth fancy repository
HATTON John surgeon Gloucester Road
HATWOOD Thomas shopkeeper
HEATH & SIMMONS builders
HENDERSON James Alexander surveyor
HERBERT James grocer & linen draper Market place
HIGHLEY Edward James Old White Hart St John street
HINTON William Henry Bank Manager
HOCK Raymond watch maker Market place
HOUGH & BRIGHT printers & stationers Market place
HOWELL Walter butcher
HULLÈTT John solicitor & commissioner for taking affidavits Gloucester Road
JAQUES John beer retailer
JENNINGS John Elmer surgeon High street
JONES John plasterer
JONES Matthew watch & clock maker, jeweller & postmaster Newland street
KEAR Moses carpenter & undertaker
KEARSEY James grocer Coalway lane
KEEN Sylvester dairy
KELLY James Royal Oak
LANGHAM Goodrich civil engineer
LLOYM D Lewis brazier
LOCKLEY Abraham brewery agent & Feathers Hotel
MAISEY John saddle & harness maker Newland street
MAYO Miss Charlotte Augusta music seller Newland street
MILES Miss Phoebe farmer
MILES Thomas coal merchant
MILLER Henry Confectioner Market place
MILLS Reuben mason
MORGAN Francis shoemaker
MORGAN Henry farmer Breckness court
MORGAN Richard butcher St Johns street
MORGAN William Shoe maker Staunton road
MORRIS John colliery proprieter
MUIR William draper John street
NELMES William blacksmith
NICHOLAS Thomas chemical manufacturer
PANTING Augustus shoe maker
Park Hill Mining Co. Limited W. H. FRYER gen. man
PHELPS Samuel Painter
PHILPOTT John manager of Gas Works
PITTWAY Charles hair dresser St John Street
PORTER Thomas stone merchant
POWELL George stone merchant
POWELL William tin plate worker
PREECE Benjamin ironfounder
PRENTICE John assistant overseer Whitecliff house
PRICE William tailor
PROVIS BROTHERS grocers & linen drapers Market place
RAWLINGS John Mansell painter & glazier Market place
REES John gardener and sexton
RHODES Henry mason
ROBERTS & SON builders Newland street
ROBERTS Charles Auctioneer
ROBERTS George stone merchant Boxbush road
ROBERTS John Nail maker Newland street
ROBERTS Richard beer retailer
ROBERTS William Solicitor & registrar of county courts of Newport & Chepstow. Cinder Hill
ROBERTS William Jun. Solicitor & deputy coroner for the Forest District High Street
ROBINS William mason
RUDGE John mason
SAGE Edwin Painter
SALMON Henry brewer Sparrow Hill
SALTER Charles tailor St John street
SALTER Richard Tipping tailor Gloucester Road
SALTER William tailor
SMITH Edward Aston Unicorn Inn
SMITH Joseph watch maker & jeweller Market Place
SMITH Timothy Grocer
Staunton Iron Ore Co.; offices Town Hall
STEEL Thomas shopkeeper Market place
STEPHENS Albert registrar of births & deaths
TAYLOR Mrs Jane farmer Beach's farm
TAYLOR John beer retailer & shopkeeper Whitecliff
TAYLOR Thomas farmer & Ironmonger Whitecliff
TEAGUE William Nags Head
THOMAS Charles shoemaker High street
TILLING Miss Frances grocer Coalway lane
TIPPINS Charles Porter, wine & spirit merchant Market place
Titanic Steel & Iron Co.Limited Robert WOODWARD sec. Forest Steel Works
TROTTER Thomas & Co. coal masters iron foundry & stoneworks Cannop Foundry, Winnals Hill
TROTTER Edward Isaiah manufacturing chemist oakwood chemical works
TROTTER Mrs Thomas Birt grocer & draper Market place
TYLER William Wheelwright Boxbush road
VAUGHAN Edwin farmer
VOYCE Edward farmer Broadwell Lane End
VOYCE Edward farmer Whitehall farm
WARD James assistant deputy crown surveyor of woods and forests Sparrow Hill
WATKINS George shoe maker Gloucester road
WATTS Mrs Elizabeth stationer & bookseller Newland street
WATTS William Henry plumber & glazier Market place
WEBB Thomas beer retailer Staunton road
WHITE Miss Ann milliner High Street
WHITE Mrs Anne maltster St John street
WHITE Charles greengrocer St John street
WHITE William beer retailer St John street
WIGNELL Richard grocer St John street
WILDING Mrs Elizabeth lodging house keeper
WILLIAMS Josiah Thomas chemist & druggist Market Place
WILLIAMS Richard furniture dealer
WILLIAMS Thomas boot maker
WORGAN Thomas farmer Hawthorns farm
WYATT Mrs Susannah shopkeeper

EU e-Privacy Directive

EU e-Privacy Directive

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

You have declined cookies. This decision can be reversed.

You have allowed cookies to be placed on your computer. This decision can be reversed.