NEWLAND is a pleasant village and extensive parish, 4 miles south-east from Monmouth, 3 south from Coleford, 8 north-west from Lydney station on the South Wales railway, in the Western division of the county, Saint Briavels hundred, union and county court district of Monmouth, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The parish comprises the chapelries of Bream and Coleford, with the tithings of Clearwell, Newland and Lea Bailey, the latter in Ross union; the parish is bounded on the west by the river Wye, which divides the county from Monmouthshire.
The church of All Saints is a handsome stone building, having chancel with three chapels, nave, aisles and a tower with pinnacles and 6 bells: it was entirely restored in 1862, at an expense of over £4,000, and four memorial windows placed there, one to Mr. Ducarel, one to Mr. And Mrs. Brickdale, and another to Miss Brickdale, Newland House and oneo to the Rev. Thomas Birt, of Birchamp House; there is also one to Lieut. J.F. Brickdale, together with several interesting monuments of the time of Edward III; there is an organ, and a very beautiful and ancient font. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £475, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol and held by the Rev. William Smith, M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford.
Here are almshouses for 8 men and 8 women, parishioners of Newland, founded in 1615 by Mr. William Jones, citizen of London and haberdasher, and he appointed the Haberdashers’ Company to be guardians of the charity: he also founded a Lectureship, to be held by a clergyman, whose duty is to take charge of the almspeople, salary £68: The Haberdashers’ Company pay over £200 for these purposes. There is also about £10 distributed to the poor in money. In the chapelry of Bream are charities to the value of £40 distributed to the poor.
The Crown is lord of manor.
The principal landowners are Capel Phillips, esq. Heath House, Cheadle, Staffordshire, J. Bengough esq. The Ridge, Wotton-under-Edge, Mrs Palmer, Newland House, The Crown, and Capt. John Henry Dighton J.P. The soil is gravelly and loamy; subsoil, clay, limestone and sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The area of the entire parish is 8.797 acres; rateable value £17,206; the population in 1871 was 5,258.
NEWLAND tithing contained a population in 1871 of 649.
UPPER REDBROOK,2 miles north-west, situate partly in the county of Monmouth and parish of Dixton, and LOWER REDBROOK, 2¼ miles west, are hamlets.
POST OFFICE.- Frank Rooms, receiver. Letters from Coleford are delivered at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Coleford
Upper Redbrook & Lower Redbrook.- William Williams, Letters from Monmouth are delivered at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m. except from Nov 1 to Feb 28, when they are dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Monmouth
The Grammar school has been removed to Coleford
Parish School Redbrook, Miss Taylor, mistress
Bagnall-Oakeley Rev. William, M.A. [lecturer of Jones’s almshouses,] The Lecturage
Blandy Frederic, J.P. Birchamp house
Curtis Miss, The Dark house
Dawson Miss, The Cottage
Dixon Mark Thomas, J.P. Oak house
Palmer Charles T. J.P. Newland house
Palmer Mrs. Newland house
Smith Rev. William, M.A. Vicarage
Beard Thomas, farmer, Coxbury farm
Brittlebank Wm. Farmer, Valley farm
Dunn James, farmer, Mill end
Harris James, jun. Farmer, Glyn farm
Heath John, farmer, Tanhouse farm
Price Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Wye Seal
Robinson William, farmer, The Valley ho
Taylor Elizbth. (Mrs.), farmer, Mill end
Vaughan Rd. Farmer, Scatterford farm
Burgham Eliza (Mrs.), brewer & maltster
Burgham Thomas, iron founder
Courteen Thomas, corn merchant
Hammond Thomas, miller
Moore Theophilus, miller
Payne Henry, wheelwright, blacksmith & undertaker
Beard James, Bell inn
Hudson John, shopkeeper & timber mer
Latham John, farmer, Highbury farm
Redbrook Tin Plate & Iron Co. (David Nurse, managing partner)
Taylor Thomas, King’s Head